Santos Porras, Borja
International development and public policy expert – Executive director IE School of global and public affairs.
International development and public policy professional with more than 12 years of program management and leadership, M&E experience, capacity building and advisory with both public and private sectors across Europe, South America, Africa, and Asia. Specialized in international development, international relations, economic development and innovation and humanitarian affairs having developed different programs, methodologies and publications.
- HARVARD UNIVERSITY, John F. Kennedy School of Government Cambridge, MA, USA
Master in Public Administration in International Development, May 2017
- The MPA/ID program is designed to prepare the next generation of leaders in international development. It is an economics-centered, multidisciplinary program, combining rigorous training in analytical and quantitative methods with an emphasis on policy and practice.
- Awards: Spanish scholarship La Caixa Foundation (One of 48 winners across Spain to study post-graduation studies in the US). Certificate in “Management, Leadership and Decision sciences” (Harvard Kennedy School).
- Activities: Student government representative; organization of the Harvard Global Development Conference
- EUROPEAN INSTITUTE CAMPUS STELLAE Spain
Master in International Relations and International Cooperation, 2014
- VALLADOLID UNIVERSITY & DEGGENDORF INST. OF TECHNOLOGY Spain & Germany
Master in “Ingeniería de Telecomunicación”, cum laude , 2006
Since Sept 2018
- IE UNIVERSITY (School of Global and Public affairs) Spain
Executive director and adjunct professor
- Responsible for the management of undergraduate programs (800 students)
- Professor of International Development and Social Entrepreneurship
Since Nov 2017
- CONSULTANT PUBLIC POLICY AND INTERNATIONAL DEVELOPMENT
- Inter-American Development Bank – Belize (July-October 2018): Mid-term Evaluation Sustainable Tourism Program (15 mill $)
- YesEuropeLab (June 2018): Coach on public narrative and community organizing to European youth leaders
- European Commission (Dec 2017-feb 2018): Facilitator and trainer in EU AID volunteer Initiative
- San Sebastian city (Nov 2017 – April 2018): Study of the capabilities of the city to create a better ecosystem of innovation and economic development
- University of Valladolid (Nov-Dec 2017): Advice to the University Strategic Plan 2018-2022.
- World Bank – Perú (July 2017-March 2018): Impact evaluation of a WB/IFC Business Improvement Project
Since June 2017
- IMFAHE FOUNDATION Peru and Spain
Director of international expansion and mentor
- To expand to other countries a Spanish mentorship network that connects Spanish professionals in top universities and companies abroad with Spanish students, universities and private companies in Spain.
- HARVARD CENTER FOR INTERNATIONAL DEVELOPMENT (CID) Sri Lanka
Associate (seconded to the Ministry of Tourism)
- Participated in the development of the CID economic growth strategy and advised the SL Tourism Vision 2025.
- Developed a growth analysis of the informal tourism sector (evaluation and recommendations of the current regulation); 2 case studies of tourism economic development zones
- Developed 4 case studies for positive deviances and innovative improvements in public government offices.
Jan 2012– June 2015
- UNITED NATIONS WORLD FOOD PROGRAMME Ethiopia
Advisor (seconded to the Government of Ethiopia)
- Designed, implemented and coordinated a Memorandum of Understanding between WFP and Government of Ethiopia for 2013-2015 (budget ~$3 million).
- Managed and evaluated budget and manpower program (6 WFP experts and 20 government workers) to provide every district of the country (more than 700) with a socio-economic profile and vulnerability assessment
- Advised the government with the design of the new five-year plan and its strategic framework
- Developed speech writing, policy memo and regular advice to the State Minister.
Jan 2010– Jan 2012
- SPANISH MINISTRY OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS (Humanitarian Aid Office) Ethiopia and Spain
Program Manager – 2010 in Headquarters and 2011 in Addis Abeba (Ethiopia office)
- During 2011, identified, monitored and evaluated more than 20 projects, funded to the Ethiopian Government, UN Agencies, International and Local NGOs and Universities related to private sector development and other aid sectors (~ €10 million).
- Developed the Spanish Development Assistance Framework with the Ethiopian government for 2011-2016.
- Coordinated and negotiated the Spanish Development policy in Ethiopia with other EU and partners
- During 2010, monitored aid projects financed by the Aid Office for Africa, Middle East, Latin America and Caribbean and South-East Asia (Annual budget of the Office was €120 millions).
- GFDRR/World Bank and METROPOLITAN DISTRICT OF QUITO Quito, Ecuador
- Supported 30 local government experts to develop vulnerability analysis in the poorest communities of Quito.
- Developed training workshops for the eight districts of Quito.
Sept 2007-Aug 2009
- UNITED NATIONS (UNDP and UNWFP) Quito, Ecuador
- Monitored and evaluated two governance projects with the Ecuadorian Government
- Performed as secretary coordination of the Emergency coordination team of United Nations agencies, European Union and NGO actions in emergency situations (Tungurahua Volcano and Ecuador Floods).
- Capacity strengthening of more than 200 government experts in communications in crisis situations.
- Research for different UN publications
- INTERNATIONAL INSTITUTE OF ART, CULTURE AND LANGUAGE Berlin, Germany
Strategic business developer
- Developed international partnerships and alliances with government and international institutions of developing and developed countries
- MERLIN LINEA Valladolid, Spain
Private sector development specialist
- Developed communication messages and strategy for more than 10 small and medium enterprises
- DEGGENDORF INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY Berlin, Germany
- Research developed with 3 German companies within an innovation university project
- Systematization of information for the project and analysis of data
- Personal Website: www.borjasantosporras.org
- Publications: https://goo.gl/Q3iySe
- Conferences: https://goo.gl/7m8EX4